December 10, 2011

Tin can luminaries for Christmas

Hi there! This is my project for Kavitha's blog: For the love of crafting. It is a tin can lamp, decorated with handmade flowers, which can be hung in the house as a decoration piece.
She insisted that I make a Christmas project other than a card, so I looked around the house and decided to make good use of this tin can. Since it already had a Christmas design on it, my work bacame a bit easier (alteast I thought so initially :), read along to know why not?)
 I drilled holes into the can in the shape of a star, keeping the Season's Greetings sentiment intact. I decorated the can around the sentiment. I drilled five such stars around the tin.
This is how it looked after the holes were drilled in. I never knew it was so difficult to do that. May be because I didn't have the proper equipments. I used a nail and hammer. It was easier to drill towards the bottom of the tin. My hubby helped me do the ones towards the rim.
Now the decoration part. I decorated the tin with poinsettia flowers made with satin ribbon. 
I have done a tutorial here on how to make these flowers.
This is how it looks when illuminated.
If you note, most of the stuff used in this project is reused, without any modern tools being used. The tin can was actually a cookie box and the beads and dried flowers are from my birthday bouquets. The ribbons for flowers and leaves had been with me since long.
The beads hung below are from an old necklace of mine.
Hope you all like my project. Do drop in a word to let me know :)
It'll really make me happy!!

Challenges entered
Crafty Catz – Anything Goes
Delicious Doodles – Christmas with lots of Embellishments
Inspire Me Fridays – Anything Goes
Raise The Bar – Christmas
Charisma Cardz - No Cards
AiFactory - Something Red
Crafty Ribbons - Traditional Colours for Christmas
Cute Card Thursday - Anything Goes
Sarah Hurley Challenges - Christmas
Paper Crafting Journey - Christmas

11 comments:

  1. wow Indira this is amazing your attention to details never fails to surprise me...you have taken everyday things and turned it into this beautiful creation ...hat's off to you!!love the flower and those hand drilled stars...like i said simply amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Indira
    A gorgeous and beautiful creation,thankyou for sharing this with us this week at CraftyCatz
    Hugs Dianne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. its gorgeous, love the ideal that you recycled , nice work!!!!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is just AWESOME. What a fabulous piece, and THANK YOU for the TuT. :-D Amazing xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Indira,

    Original idea. Magnificent decoration. It 's a success! Bravo !

    Thanks for joining us at Charizma Cardz this week

    Hugs from France.
    Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous, thanks for sharing it with us at CraftyCatz this week.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fantastic Indira! Great idea and fab way to use up things around the house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely idea, and I can appreciate the effort that went into making those holes! (lol) Thanks for joining our challenge this week at Charisma.
    Joyce xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a fabulous lamp! Gorgeous hand made poinsettias too, a wonderful creation! Thanks for joining us at Charisma Cardz this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what fab idea, goodluck at charisma challenges

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is beautiful and makes a change from a card too thanks you for playing with us at PCJ
    Jacki (DT) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments! They mean a lot to me :)

Cheers,
Indira

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...